This year, I’ve decided to follow in Nicole’s footsteps and share my monthly small goals. I think setting easy challenges for myself every month will definitely help me reach my big goals in the long run, so today I’ve set out six things I want to do in January that will push me towards reaching some yearly goals.
- Write 31,000 words. As I mentioned, writing or finishing a novel and starting down the road to publishing is a HUGE goal for me this year. I plan to write for 30 minutes a day, but I didn’t previously set myself a word count to reach this month, so here it is. I hope to write 1,000 words a day (which is a bit less than you would if you were participating in NaNoWriMo) to bump my current project forward. I’m excited to say I’ve already surpassed that daily goal! I’ve been sitting to write for 30-45 minutes every day, and on average have produced about 1,500-2,000 words with each session.
- Keep weekdays 99% Paleo. I have decided to do stricter Paleo just on the weekdays, because first of all, I think that junk food is good for your mental health and crucial to eating healthier (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron), and secondly, my husband and I tend to go on dates on the weekends. And what fun is a date without a little bit of junk food? NONE. (Okay, it’s actually really fun without junk food. But I like dessert and hamburgers, so there.)
- No pants. This is a goal I forgot about when I was writing my big yearly goals. And, it’s not really a yearly goal. I’ve just challenged myself to wear only skirts and dresses – except during exercise or hikes or when it’s otherwise necessary – for at least thirty days. Everywhere I go, everything I do. I’ve been in a slump of wearing my husband’s pajama pants when I don’t go anywhere, and this has to stop! Plus, I want to re-prove to myself that it’s possible to function and be warm in skirts/dresses in the dead of winter. I know it can be done, I did it before, I just have to remember how.
- Go outside and walk/play 3x a week. I’m not an outside-in-the-winter type of person. I don’t like to be cold (and conversely, I hate being super hot, too), and right now it’s almost freezing so… we stay inside. But Asa needs fresh air and so do I! So this month, I hope to take walks up to Grandma’s or go play in our yard on the less soggy days, so we can both get in some much needed movement.
- List my gently-used clothes somewhere to sell. Last year, I cleaned out my closet thoroughly, and I tried doing an Instagram sale thing… but it’s just not really my type of sale-ing. So I’m going to try to get everything I’ve cleaned out that is worth selling up on my Storenvy, and finally clear that pile out of my room.
- Put away some money for vacation. We don’t have a lot of money. I’ll be frank with you: we can basically only afford one “large” thing every month, and by “large” I mean like… around $200. Lately, this has been checkups for the kids, or the dentist for us. But even if all we can do is $20 in a vacation jar, it’s a start!
So, those are my six goals this January! I’m feeling pretty good about them since I’ve already started on two or three. What are your goals?