Fashion,  Pregnancy

The Cat’s Meow


Okay, I have to say: this is probably my favorite outfit I have worn in… a really long time. I LOVE this shirt (and please tell me nobody ever tried wearing this as a dress. That’s where I found it, in the dress section at the thrift store…), and while I’m usually all about lots of color, I really like the overall palette of this outfit.

But mostly, I’m just really in love with this shirt. I mean, you’ll see in the detail shot: it’s covered in cats. Cats wearing bow ties. Could it get any better?


I wore this on Wednesday, the day when the pregnancy sickness came back full swing and I felt sick all day. Even while taking pictures. It’s a testament to the outfit that I loved it so much I  made myself put on makeup, drag out the tripod, and actually have fun photographing it. It just makes me happy.

I’ll tell you a little secret, though: this skirt is totally not zipped up even halfway under the shirt. I’m outgrowing ALL of my skirts, and I plan to get away with not zipping or buttoning them up as long as I can by buying shirts with long hemlines. That’s one cheap way to make your wardrobe stretch, right? 😉


But I suppose it’s getting to that time when I really just need to go buy some actual maternity clothes at the store, or at least some really stretchy skirts and dresses at Goodwill, because I can’t survive on unzipped skirts forever.


And do you not see how freaking amazing this shirt is? I mean, other than the fact that it now unbuttons right between my boobs every time I move, because apparently they’ve gotten slightly bigger and it can’t handle the stress.

I’m going to have to stockpile the safety-pins during this pregnancy, that’s for sure!


I am finally also getting to the part where I’m starting to like pregnancy. I’ll be honest: the first 11 weeks sucked. Majorly. When I announced my pregnancy on Facebook, it was with a list of why pregnancy sucks. There’s the whole sickness thing– which, by the way, is NOT limited to morning, and most of the time for me was in the afternoon, but sometimes lasted all day–, there’s insomnia (who even knew pregnancy insomnia at seven weeks was a thing???), there’s major food aversions that restrict you to eating spaghetti and potatoes, there’s being so exhausted you fall asleep at 8pm, there’s waking up every hour at night to pee, there’s the insatiable appetite that forces you to eat or be sick, there’s this weird gag-reflex when you don’t even feel sick but could hurl if you breathe out too hard, there’s the phase where water makes you queasy…

Really, the list could go on, but I don’t want to scare anyone who wants to get pregnant, because it DOES get better, and generally none of the symptoms were so bad that I wasn’t able to laugh at really weird and unexpected things. Except for the belly cramps. Those are just evil.


Although I do have to say: never go camping in May by the ocean at 7 weeks pregnant. That’s just a terrible idea. You will be sick, rained on, get no sleep, and have to sit under a tarp with the fire, which means you’re bombarded with smoke which just makes you sicker.

But now that I’m passing the first trimester, I’m starting to feel much rosier about pregnancy. It’s SO fun to have a belly to show off, and the sickness is going away, and other than being so emotional that I have a complete breakdown if I stay up past 10:00, nothing is that bad any more. They say the second trimester is the honeymoon phase of pregnancy, and I definitely believe that!


Thrifted: Shirt (originally H&M), skirt, belt
Forever 21: Mustache earrings, bow ring
Target: Flats
Glasses: C/O Firmoo (But I need them, for real.)

I’m really excited, because tonight we’re going to see The Lone Ranger and Monster’s University at the drive in. I’ve already seen the second one, and the first one looks SO corny, but I love those kinds of movies so I’m sure it will be fun! And it is SUCH nice weather for the drive in movies!

Did you all have a good 4th of July? I hope so! Mr. Owl and I ended up having a very unexpected end to the evening; around 6:30 while eating dinner, he got a piece of steak stuck in his esophagus. This happens occasionally, and usually it drops within thirty minutes, but this steak was REALLY stuck. The usual routine of pounding his chest/stretching/whatever else didn’t work. And at 10:30, we finally went to the emergency room. After a few attempts to get it unstuck without calling in the specialist, they had to call in their throat doctor who went in and pulled it out. We didn’t get home until 3am. It was eventful.

But he’s fine. Generally he just needs to chew his food a lot more than he does, and we need to follow up and figure out why this happens all the time. The specialist could only say it might be something I can’t pronounce, but that he didn’t have the usual bloodwork of a person with whatever it was I couldn’t pronounce… so we have to follow up with the family doctor to see if it IS what I can’t pronounce, and then go from there.

Anyway! I hope you all have a great day, and happy Friday!


follow me on: bloglovin chictopia facebook twitter pinterest | Instagram |Fiction Press

P.S. I just updated my blog theme. Again. I may be a LITTLE bit obsessed with this shirt’s pattern.